Monday, May 05, 2008

Sunday ride with my SAG guy, funding for the Heifer Ride

Me and my favorite SAG guy in a field of black eye susans

Rose Pink/Bitteroot, a new one for our wildflower list

After spending all day Saturday demonstrating spinning and weaving at an Alpaca seminar Saturday, it felt good to get on the bike and do some riding on Sunday.

It was a perfect day, a coolish 75 degrees with low humidity and a fairly brisk and gusting north eastern headwind for most of the ride home. There were a lot of other riders out, more than we have seen in several weeks so I guess all the brave souls who did the Houston Austin MS 150 are all recovered and back on the road. Of course, this time of year and as we go into the summer, as the temperatures and humidity climb, any day under 85 degrees and 85% humidity is a good day to ride.

On Sunday's ride we weren't pushing for speed, just intent on enjoying the day, doing a moderate distance and looking for more Texas wildflowers. It was also our last chance to ride together until the end of June, as I am leaving for the Heifer International (http://heifer.org) Charity ride from Mobile, AL to Niagara, Ontario Canada on Thursday, May 8th.

I am pleased to announce that I am halfway to my fundraising goal of $1825.00 or $1.00 dollar a mile for the length of the ride. I'm hoping that as people start reading the ride blog, they will also become interested in helping out funding wise. Several friends have pledged to pay per mile I actually ride and so are waiting until the ride is complete and the final miles tallied. This year it will be much easier as I will be riding with a garmin which can keep a running total as well as a daily log.

In spite of the headwinds, and many stops for wild flowers photo ops and a break at our favorite coffe joint "Fill Your Cup" in Richmond, our overall speed was pretty good. More importantly, it was a really nice ride, long enough to make us tired but not exhausted, and short enough that it didn't take the entire day.

It was also a final opportunity to check out the new bike fit and make sure the seat height and tilt were adjusted properly. Everything feels and looks good to go.

I will be posting to this blog as often as possible, bearing in mind that we will be riding in relatively rural areas and so I may not have daily access to the internet. I would love to meet up with fellow bikers, spinners and or weavers along the route so drop me a contact on the comments section. In fact comment anyway!


Today's stats:
Distance 45 miles
Time in the saddle 2;45
Average speed 15.1











No comments: