Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Riding and More Texas Wild Flowers




Bois d'Arc Lane With Prickly Poppies
This little road near Fulshear, is one of my favorite country bike routes west of Sugar Land.



Another day of high humidity, headwinds, higher temperatures, and more miles on the bike.

Fortunately the headwinds gave me an excuse to stop frequently and take photos of some new and different wildflowers. The fact that the fields are full of prickly poppies means that the wildflowers are just about finished blooming. At times I was riding through flurries of white petals, a Texas version of a snow flurry.



Possibly a blue spiderwort close up

I came across a new flower that I think is spiderwort although reading through all the wildflower books only shows similarities, not confirmation. Still that's my tentative identification and I'm sticking with it. The fields that were not full of prickly poppy were full of this low growing, ground cover type plant, especially fields that were pastures as opposed to the uncultivated fields.


A pasture of spiderwort and goatsbeard





Todays Ride Stats:
distance 55.5 miles
TITS time 3:31
Average speed 15.5mph








































































No comments: