It has been very foggy and dreary for two days. Today the weatherman predicted 73 degrees and partial sun. Silly me to believe him!
I made arrangements with two friend to do a ride this morning. We allowed ourselves the luxury of starting at 9:00 am instead of 8:00 since it was Sunday morning. Somehow the extra hour did nothing to help clear up the fog.
We went ahead and rode anyway since this is looking to be the best day of the week weatherwise and although it was foggy, with visibility at about 1/3 mile, it was alsorelatively mild compared to how cool it has been, and there was no wind which is always a unique experience for riding around here.
By the time we had gone a mile, my glasses were dripping, as was my nose, my head and my helmet from the condensation of fog pooling on every surface possible. Even with a summer wieght underlayer instead of my winter wool underlayer I was warm enough, but I still felt clammy. My medium weight long fingered gloves were soaked through on the back from condensation and on the fronts of the fingers from windshield wipering my glasses.
Barbara dropped out at about 10 miles declaring that this was no fun so Len and I pressed on up to Fulshear, took a break and then rode back. In spite of the lack of sunlight, visibility and amenable weather, there were a lot of riders out, mostly in packs or groups. I guess it just goes to show how stir crazy some of us get after a couple of days of not riding.
It was a pleasant enough ride, and it was good to get in some moderate speed, moderate distance as the top of my head and temple are still a bit numb from the fall over Thanksgiving and every now and then I tend to get a headache from exertion. In spite of a really noticeable scar, it is obvious that I am still healing internally. I don't want to really pound for extended distances until I can do so without developing a headache. By the time we got back to the car though, I was thoroughly chilled so I didn't hang around to do any stretching with Len, but hopped in the car, drove home, had a hot coffee and shower and then spent quite a while cleaning my bike which was not only wet, but covered with plastered on road grit and bits and pieces of dead leaves.
Had I not agreed to meet up with Len and Barbara I would have probably bailed and just slept in late. As it is, I can feel virtuous, at least now that I am warm and dry and don't have to whine about it any more.
today's stats
38 miles
2:30
15.2
No comments:
Post a Comment